"Preserving the history of the parish of Sleat on the Isle of Skye"
Ord An Uird
Originally a farmhouse and steading, with several cottars’ and farm workers’ houses, Ord was the home of the Macdonald family described in the book A Summer in Skye by the poet Alexander Smith and published in 1867. Smith had married Flora, the daughter of Charles Macdonald, who had become tacksman of Ord at the very end of the 18th century.
The house became a hotel in 1947 run by the Nicolson family, who had taken over the lease of the farm in 1926. People came from far and wide for the celebrated afternoon teas served here.
Construction of new houses began in the 1960s, with the building of An Acarsaid. In the late 1970s a complex of holiday chalets was built. These were sold off individually in the 1990s.
A quartzite quarry was opened in 1944 by John G. Stein & Co of Bonnybridge for the extraction of silica. A short railway joined the quarry to the road where lorries were loaded with the quarried material. The high cost of transport away from Skye meant that the quarry was uneconomic and it closed in 1960.
View of Ord