"Preserving the history of the parish of Sleat on the Isle of Skye"
Different spellings for place names are given; those in italic are the Gaelic version. The meaning of the place names is also given –whether Gaelic or Norse. For more information on local place names see our Place names page.
Gillen Gillean (the gylls or hollows)
The house was built in the early 1800s by Dr Alasdair MacDonald (An Dotair Ruadh). The kitchen of the farmhouse was a famous venue for kitchen ceilidhs and...Read more about Gillen
Achnacloich Achadh na Cloiche (the field of the stone)
In the mid 18th century the area we now call Achnacloich was joined with the farm now known as Gillen. Together, they were known...Read more about Achnacloich
Drumfearn Druim Fhearna (alder ridge)
Several of the families who had been cleared from Borreraig and Suishnish in Strath in 1852 were resettled here. They were only the latest of...Read more about Drumfearn
Ostaig (East Bay - a Norse place name)
In the 18th century Ostaig was divided into two parts - Ostaig Mòr and Ostaig beag. In 1733 Ostaig Mòr was in the hands of the dowager Lady Macdonald, widow...Read more about Ostaig
Knock An Cnoc (the hill) Cnoc Uaine (green hill)
The site of Caistel Camus, one of the medieval castles in Sleat.
The house is marked on a map dated 1763. The sister of the 6th Lord Macdonald...Read more about Knock