"Preserving the history of the parish of Sleat on the Isle of Skye"
Until the Education Act of 1872, the main school in Sleat was the parish school. Lord Macdonald paid for the salary of the parish schoolmaster, as he was the only heritor in the...
The Smithy was originally located on the site where Ardvasar School now stands. When the school was built in 1877, the Smithy was shifted to a new site on the hillside behind the Shop. At that...Read more about Ardvasar Smithy
Large-scale emigration from Sleat probably began at much the same time as in the rest of Skye. This was the early 1770s when emigration from Skye to North America really began. The favoured...Read more about Emigration
Various sources suggest that the site of Kilmore Church was a place of pagan worship before the Christian era. There is a tradition that St Columba landed on the shore...
A simple chart showing population trends in the parish between 1755 and 2001.
This chart is based on information from the censuses taken every 10 years from 1801, and Dr Alexander Webster’s...Read more about Population Table